Melina Kanakaredes is leaving CSI

Posted by on Sep 25, 2010 | 11 Comments

CSI (Crime scene Investigation) is American Crime Drama television series. The series star Melina Kanakaredes, who played Detective Stella Bonasera role in CSI, has announced that she is leaving the TV Show after six years. CSI: New York is one of the popular in CBS’s CSI franchise, started in 2004.

Kanakaredes issued a statement as well: “I made some amazing and lifelong friendships during my six seasons on CSI: NY and I will treasure them forever.” Melina Kanakaredes role is replaced by the Emmy-winning actress from “Once and again” and “Sisters” Sela Ward. Sela will play an experienced investigator from Washington, D.C., whose work is driven by her empathy for the victim. Melina Kanakaredes Leaving from “CSI NY” is the biggest shocker of the summer. Currently, Kanakaredes roles include the soap opera “Guiding Light”, NBC drama “Providence”, and roles on “NYPD Blue” and “The Practice”.

CBS give statement about Melina: “We hoped Melina would return to ‘CSI: NY’ for another season, but we respect her decision to move on. Her amazing talent and invaluable contribution to the success of the series are greatly appreciated and will not be forgotten. She will forever remain a friend to the network and studio, and we wish her the very best.”

Some other casts of the CSI also leave this series. A.J. Cook was let go from “Criminal Minds,” then cast losses from the other CSIs: Liz Vassey and Marg Helgenberger from “CSI” Vegas, and Eddie Cibrian from “CSI Miami.”

The first television role Melina Kanakaredes was on the daytime drama Guiding Light, beginning the role of Eleni Andros Spaulding Cooper from 1991 to 1995. She was voted two times for a Daytime Emmy Award for her portrayal of Eleni. She is widely known for two starring roles on U.S. prime-time television drama series: playing Detective Stella Bonasera in CSI: NY and portraying Dr. Sydney Hansen in Providence.

1. Cheryl says:

Sorry to see Melina Kanakaredes has left CSI New York..I really enjoyed her performances on all of the shows she has been in..however..I was happy to see that Sela Ward as her replacements as I do like her as well..maybe her and Mac could hook up????

2. Glenys Porter says:

Glad to see it! Her character was a know-it-all. Sela Ward will be great.

3. Christiana says:

Melina was and still is a great actress. I loved her character and i will miss her dearly. Good luck Melina. :)

4. Ivy says:

It was a huge shock that Stella wasn’t there in the season opener. Even if she was to leave the show, you would think she would at least have been there for the character Lindsay after what had happened. There was no segway from Melina to Sela. Sela is good but her past characters are too soft and don’t lend themselves to a CSI. Melina left a big gap in the show. I love the show. I hope Sela can pick up the slack.

5. DeDe says:

Indeed, it was a shock to see that Melina is gone from CSI:NY. We absolutely do not think that Sela fits with the team. This actor has spoiled the show for us. Her demenor and look does not fit with the character of the show.

6. Dr. Hugh Jeffreys says:

I think she’s great! After all, she is a native Mississippian; I too come from the Free Public of Mississippi. In the late 40’s, I played with the Big Diamond Band on WMOX, Meridian. Her parents probably danced to our music.

7. Debbie says:

Why did she leave?
    I love her in everything I’ve seen her act.
    I also like Sela Ward.
    Wish the best for both wonderful actresses.

8. Gene Lofaro says:

Sela Ward is a mistake on this show. Melina sparkles and Sela fizzles. Sorry.

9. Ariel says:

OMG i can’t believe Melina is leaving… CSI:NY isn’t the same without her… she should have at least showed up for one last episode to show the CSI crew saying their goodbyes… i truely miss her on the show… i’ve stopped watching ever since she left…

10. Sad Viewer says:

Like many others, I wish there had been a “good-bye_” episode. Is there any chance she will return for a visit??? Ms Ward does not have the depth of character to play this part. She is too passive. Give her some backbone. Stella, you will be missed.

11. Jerlena Miller says:

I loved this show and the chemistry between Stella and Mac. Now that Melina is gone, I don’t watch anymore. I’ve never liked Sela Ward. I see this show going off the air soon.